Algal Food Ingredient Uses
The following is excerpted from the research and writings of Dr. Mark Edwards, one of the world’s foremost authorities on algae.
- Beer – clarifier to remove haze-causing proteins
- Frozen foods – pies and pastries fillings and ice cream
- Dairy – whipped toppings, milkshakes, skim milk, evaporated milk, chocolate milk, ice cream, cheeses, cottage cheese, infant formulas, flans, custards, yogurt and instant breakfasts
- High protein drinks – protein, vitamins and minerals
- Fruits – fruit juices, syrups, jams and jellies
- Sauces and gravies – thickener
- Pates and processed meat – substitute fat to increase water retention and increase volume without extra calories
- Toothpaste – stabilizer to prevent constituents separating, e.g. striped toothpaste
- Soy milk – thickener emulates the consistency of whole milk.
- Diet sodas — clarifier